Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread Mix, 22-Ounce Units (Pack of 4) This instant


Finished product is dense and has no flavor except for the raisins.

I'm not GF, I just happened to try this because it was heavily discounted at the store and I like other Red Mill products. So I'm rating this from the perspective of a regular bread baker (I made dutch crunch rolls yesterday).

I was initially concerned that the yeast was dead; it didn't froth at all in the warm water, like the directions say it will, but then I realized that making other bread it is typical to add sugar or something else with the yeast to feed it. So I assumed that the yeast was good. It was; the bread rose in the pan. I tasted the dough after mixing all the ingredients. Even pizza dough is much sweeter than this; this is sugar-free and has molasses and is bitter. The directions say it should bake 60-65 minutes or until bread reaches 205 degrees. It did reach 205 around that time.

So the directions are fine and the yeast worked, but this is just dense and tasteless. If it has flavor, that flavor is bitter. I had to make coffee to eat a couple pieces. Might throw the loaf out after eating a couple more pieces with coffee tomorrow. I can easily imagine that the other reviewers suggestions of adding a whipped banana or more spices or giving it extra time to rise would help.

If I was Gluten-Free, I'd probably experiment and make this work. I'm not; it is going into the trash.Get more detail about Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread Mix, 22-Ounce Units (Pack of 4).

No comments:

Post a Comment