Friday, July 16, 2010

Mama Leone's Soft Pretzel Bread, 17-Ounce Box (Pack of 4) This instant


This pretzel mix and its mixing/baking instructions leave a lot to be desired. The mixing/baking instructions are printed so small that even with good eyesight, I needed a magnifying glass to read them. Instructions were confusing to say the least in that it talks about pouring the yeast packet into a small bowl and adding a cup of warm water, mix well before adding to dry mix. There was no yeast package in the box I was working with nor any of the other three boxes that I opened. Just to confirm that the yeast had not already been added to the dry mix and the instructions had not been updated accordingly, I called the company and asked. They informed that there should have been a seperate yeast package in each box. They then offered to send me four packages of yeast to replace what I was obviously going to have to buy before I could make up the mixes. To date, I've not received anything from this company albeit it has been nearly three weeks since I called them. Thankfully, I had one package of yeast on hand so that I could continue with my immediate baking project. There is also no salt in the mix which renders a very bland tasting pretzel notwithstanding the coarse salt sprinkled on the tops. For those on a low to no sodium diet, this pretzel mix might be ideal for you. As for brushing the formed pretzel with warm baking soda water after placing on the baking pan, I am convinced this procedure contributed to the burned bottoms. Yes, the oven temp was exactly as per the baking instructions as was the bake time. The instructions do not recommend brushing the pretzels with a small amount of lightly beaten egg white which allows the sprinkled on top coarse salt to adhere much better than just brushing with the baking soda water. I have three more boxes of this mix to use and I intend to modify the mixing/baking instructions to match a much better made from scratch "old world" receipe for pretzels that calls for both a bit of salt and dunking the formed pretzels in near boiling baking soda water for 20 seconds. Once you lift the pretzels from the water with a slotted spatula or similar utensil, the baking soda water drips from the pretzel. I've never had burned pretzel bottoms using this method. The oven temp and bake time will also be adjusted. Was just trying to find a mix that could reduce the number of ingredients needed to be kept on hand for the "old world" receipe as well as to alleviate some of the mixing since my hands are becoming very arthritic. Bummer.Get more detail about Mama Leone's Soft Pretzel Bread, 17-Ounce Box (Pack of 4).

No comments:

Post a Comment